School Crossing Guard
Rate: $15.38 /hour
Hours: Potential hire must be available to work between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm. Employees will be required to work a cumulative of 4.5 hours during this window at designated times. Compensation will be provided for 7 hours. Times needed for example: (7:30am-9am, 10:30am-12pm, 2pm-3:30pm).
- Avonwick Gate and Cassandra Boulevard
- Oasis Boulevard and Pinoak Street
- Markham Road and Eglinton Avenue East
- Norseman St and Royal York Road
- Mt. Pleasant and Ranleigh Ave
- Cleveland Street and Merton Street
- Lawrence Ave and Bennet Road
- Rolph Rd and Sutherland Dr
- Cleveland St and Davisville Ave
The employer is a leader in parking, dock, and transportation management due to its continuous efforts on customer service. They provide services to consumer and retail shows, convention centers, and private events including corporate galas, shopping malls, and hospitals.
The School Crossing Guard will escort children and other pedestrians at designated school crossing locations during the school year in accordance with Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and employer guidelines.
- Assist elementary school children in crossing roads safely at designated school crossing locations in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Company Guidelines.
- Learn and understand the SOP's for each school/site they are working at
- Arrive on time
- Ensure workplace is kept clean and tidy
- Remain at designated crossing site at all times during the designated work hours of 3 segments per day
- Coordinate the flow of pedestrians across selected intersection(s) with the flow of vehicular traffic and traffic control devices (where applicable)
- Ensure uniforms are clean and properly worn
- Obey all established traffic safety regulations to ensure children and pedestrians are assisted in crossing roadways at designated locations
- Wear mandatory safety equipment supplied by the company at all times while on duty.
- Must demonstrate a good sense of judgment to be able to determine timing for safe entry into the flow of traffic and be capable of crossing the roadway in a quick, orderly and safe manner.
- Exercise appropriate authority in a confident, decisive, firm, understanding and fair manner to require approaching vehicles to stop at their crossings.
- Report and document any problems, e.g. weather conditions, children, and motorists, to Supervisor of Crossing Guards.
- Must be punctual and stay for the entire scheduled shift time.
- Apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of duties in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Company Policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Staff who successfully complete the recruitment process will be required to submit a vulnerable sectors check
- Must possess a smart phone with data
- Superior customer service skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision are imperative, as the successful candidate will be working with a wide variety of individuals including children, City residents and the public, and will need to immediately report any concerns to supervisory staff.
- Demonstrate a good sense of judgment to be able to determine timing for safe entry into the flow of traffic.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Highway Traffic Act.
- Must be dependable, available, physically fit, of good character and possess an understanding of young people.
- Must be willing to work in all forms of weather, including extremes of heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, sleet, and wind and be capable of working under all types of road conditions, exposure to traffic noise and exhaust from vehicles.
Posting Expiry Date: March 1, 2019 or when position is filled